From:ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat: U.S.A. (ANSI)
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N4222
US National Body Report to the September 2007 SC 22 Plenary
US National Body
National Body Contribution
This document is circulated for review and consideration. It will be
discussed at the September 2007 SC 22 Plenary under agenda item 7.1.
___________________________end of cover page, beginning of
National Activity Report for 2006-2007
U.S. National Member Body
Prepared for JTC 1/SC 22 Plenary in
Singapore, September 2007
Prepared by Rex Jaeschke
The U.S. Technical Advisory Group (TAG) to SC 22 is INCITS/CT22.
The U.S. has continued to be active in the following SC 22 Working Groups:
* For SC 22/WG 9, the U.S. TAG is administered by the Institute of
Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
* The U.S. holds the convenership of WG 9.
* For SC 22/WG 14, the U.S. TAG is INCITS/J11.
* The U.S. holds the convenership of WG 14.
* J11 continues to hold co-located meetings with WG 14.
* For SC 22/WG 21, the U.S. TAG is INCITS/J16.
* The U.S. holds the convenership of WG 21.
* J16 continues to hold co-located meetings with WG 21.
* For SC 22/WG 4, the U.S. TAG is INCITS/J4. J4 is responsible for the
development of the U.S. and international standards for COBOL
(INCITS/ISO/IEC 1989); the development of related amendments, technical
reports, technical specifications, and technical corrigenda; and the
processing of related defect reports.
* The U.S. holds the convenership of WG 4.
* For SC 22/WG 5, the U.S. TAG is INCITS/J3.
* Primary development work on the next revision of ISO/IEC 1539-1,
pursuing a scope set out by SC 22/WG 5, has been completed. Integration of
the revisions is under way. Completion is expected in 2008, with
publication expected in 2009.
* J3 continues to work on defect reports, the results of which are
submitted to SC 22/WG 5 for consideration for inclusion in future
corrigenda. ISO published Technical Corrigendum 2 for ISO/IEC 1539-1:2004
on 17 January 2007.
* A Type-2 Technical Report entitled "Further interoperability with C"
has been initiated.
Language Independent Data types:
* For part of SC 22/WG 11's work, the U.S. TAG is INCITS/L8.
* For SC 22/WG 2, the U.S. TAG is INCITS/J9.
* J9 is in Maintenance Mode. It is prepared to answer interpretation
questions on the Pascal and Extended Pascal standards, but has not received
any in the last year.
* The U.S. TAG is INCITS/J1.
POSIX Advisory Group (PAG):
* Following the disbandment of WG 15 and its associated U.S. TAG, all
POSIX-related decisions are now made by INCITS, with input from CT22.
* SC 22 appointed Mr. Nick Stoughton of the U.S. as the Organizational
Representative (OR) for SC 22 within the Austin Joint Working Group, and Mr.
Stephen Walli of the U.S. as the convener of the POSIX Advisory Group.
* The U.S. remains heavily involved in the Austin Group process, and
uses the INCITS Study Group on Linux to help formulate its opinions.
* For SC 22/WG 17, the U.S. TAG is INCITS/J17.
* The U.S. holds the convenership of WG 17.
SC 22 Linux Rapporteur Group
* The U.S. TAG for any Linux-related activities within JTC 1 and SC 22
is the INCITS Study Group on Linux (ISGL).
SC 22 OWG - Programming Language Vulnerabilities:
* The U.S. holds the convenership of the OWG:Vulnerabilities.
* U.S. delegates have participated in all meetings this year.
American National Standards Institute
25 West 43rd Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10036
Tel: 212 642 4918
Fax: 212 840 2298